Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Jumping back in

We're back! Back in blog land and back to making babies.  It's been a rough few years, but we're finally in a place were we can resume our pursuit of a kidlet.  Or two. (K says 1).

During our last round of iui in the summer of 2011, I (B) messed up my foot. Ligaments, tendons, bones, all that good stuff.  That was the start our break from ttc. It was only supposed to be for a couple of months.  Let the foot heel, lose some weight, make a baby.    Lose some weight turned into have weight loss surgery.  Six months of insurance required prep for that turned into a 10 month process. After wls, they want you to wait 12 months before getting pregnant.  Bummer, but it made sense.  We weren't counting on me getting terribly ill 8 months after surgery.  Severe damage to the nerves in both of my ears put me out of commission for 7 months.

After relearning how to balance, and walk, and interact with people, I was finally able to go back to work in November of last year.  I finally reached the -as all better as I'm going to get - milestone in early March.  I still can't look up and walk at the same time.  Or look back and forth quickly.  But I'm 1000% better than I was.  Seriously bizarre things happen when you lose the ability to orient yourself in space.  You can't tell if you're laying down or standing up.  Your eyes work with those nerves to adjust how you see things, so you suddenly lose the ability to track objects in space.  And read.  And look at people.  You can only look at objects that remain very still.  People- people move.  A lot.  And forget having conversations.  Every ounce of your brain is being used to try to maintain your sense of orientation.  There aren't any left over neurons to be used for holding a train of thought. Or remembering why you're trying to walk across the house.  Or the name of the the person next to you.  You know, the one you've been married to for years.   It was awful.  It has given me a new perspective though.  I'm much more thankful for all of the little things in life.  I smile when I'm at the grocery store. Or trying to make a left turn in traffic.  It's nice to be able to function independently again.

Anywho.  Back to the making of the babies.  We gave up working with the previous baby doc.  She was really mean.  Really really mean.  I don't want to cry every time I see the doc. I mean, I might cry- this is a ridiculously trying and emotional experience.  But- I don't want the doc to be the one making me cry.  I want to just cry because I'm crazy.  You know.  I know you know. This sh*t makes you crazy.

This time around we have insurance coverage!!!!!   Holy molly.  That's huge.  And after talking to the financial counsellor at the very large baby factory we've chosen to go with, our insurance coverage should pay for a couple of iui's and an ivf attempt.  We'll have to pay for sperm and maybe the meds if we do the ivf, but that's still waaaaay cheaper than doing all of this out of pocket.

I forget who's blog used the term baby factory, but I like it.  It makes me giggle.  So we're going to use it too.

We've done our initial consult and had a few blood tests run.  We're trying to get everything lined up to be able to try on my next cycle - which is prob ~ 14 days away.  We have to do the psych consult and then prob a few other things.  Knocking out the psych meeting tomorrow -being judged is so nerve wracking. And we have a call into the doc's assistant to find out what else we lack.

Once we pulled the trigger on getting back into this insanity, we're very anxious to actually start a treatment cycle.

I must say, after 4 years of not peeing on a stick, I was more than a little out of practice.  Now that we have the psych booked, that little smiley face is welcome to show up any day now : )

No comments:

Post a Comment